Monday, March 4, 2013

Start… (Part 2)



            Back to where it began. January 17, 2011. Last meal with my family and grandparents; the day that defined what goodbye meant to me; the start of true independence without help. 

            I have never in my life, cried so hard before. Not even my encounters with the Holy Spirit. From the wait to actual boarding I felt alright, but missing my family’s face already. After all, I’m always in Penang International Airport with my family. Just a few hours ago, I still see their faces.

            Once the plane took off, so did my tears. I was lucky enough to have all three seats and couple rows by myself. Lucky, I said. Looking outside the window, I saw the lights of the city, my city. I was not able to do anything but weep.

           I was filled with so much fear that I could have just break the window and jump out. But I’m not that strong. I’ll walk out like a crazy person. But I stayed in my seat. I still cannot tell today whether I was too weak weeping or somehow had this stubborn courage in my gut that kept me in the plane.

            I must have freaked her out. The air stewardess asked me whether I want Coke or water or anything else to drink. I tried my very best to say I want Coke; not a word came out of my mouth. I cried harder each time she walked towards me, talked to me, asked me again and again what I want to drink. Everything seems to be a trigger; everything else is just another button to the fountain of my tears. We both finally gave up and I had my own time to cry until I fell asleep.

            I really hate crying. But knowing that I will leave home at least two years (senior year and a year of employment with OPT), I don’t blame myself for not holding back those tears. That is one moment that I will not forget as long as I live.

            After that traumatic start of my travel, I returned to the usual Julia. Confident in traveling alone, visiting a new airport, and meeting new people. Nothing can stop me now, I thought. It would be precious if I get a snapshot of how silly I looked during my time of travel. Hahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment