Wednesday, March 20, 2013

International Bible Study



            I attended bible study for international students my first semester in Campbellsville University. I watched a clip from Passion of Christ at the bible study. The leader, Brittany, was crying. I was comforting her, but she said it was tears of joy. I was perplexed yet kind of understand why she said that.

            Summer 2011, God set our relationship straight. When I return to campus in Fall 2011, international bible study is no longer here. I started to pray for it, pray that it will revive for the needs of international students to hear the Gospel. 



            CampbellsvilleUniversity, in the middle of Kentucky, a small town, small college. 3,500 students with 350 of them being international students. Literally, 1 in 10 students is not from America. Most of them never heard of the name Jesus Christ, do not know any Christian in their lives, have no interest in knowing a God who loves them! Tell me you are just going to sit around and reject your calling as a laborer. Matthew 28:19-20 is a lifelong application for Christians wherever you are! Be the light, don’t just consume it!

            I was filled with this eager and hunger to share my experience with my fellow international students. But I don’t know how. Fall 2011. I missed the first week of class and I had a huge shock after being institutionalized (a long story which I will write about in the future). 

            BridgesInternational is a Cru ministry geared to reach international students. Being a Southern Baptist college, Campbellsville University has her own Baptist Campus Ministry (BCM-http://www.campbellsville.edu/baptist-campus-ministries). We have occasional visits from Cru staffs to disciple one or two students who are involved with Cru, BCM, or just campus ministry in general.

            The first day of the Bridges International intern came to Campbellsville University to seek opportunity to grow international ministry for our college. Lauren Fowler and I met. She became my mentor and discipler. It is no coincidence. Like I explained the purpose of my blog, it is miracle. God has His plan from the beginning.
            If I did not have the hunger for international bible studies and reaching out to international students in Fall 2011, a week after I missed class; if God did not put Lauren, from Florida, in Kentucky and grabbed her attention from China; if Lauren did not meet me as the first person and talked to me for hours; if I did not pour out my gut and all of my life story (especially my summer and why I missed class); things will not be the same. 

            If that did not happen, my dream and prayers will not come true. Thanks to Lauren, I went Vision 2011 (international student conference) and Summer Project. Vision fueled me with more passion for international students. Summer Project equipped me to teach the bible and convinced me that I am a leader in God’s eye. 

            Coming back from Summer Project (SP), I was depressed but soon encouraged by my fellow SP family. I found the courage and God’s approval to revive international bible study. Contacted a few servant friends and be faithful in prayers.

            God provided abundance and more. We have (several junior and senior students) leaders to start with. Then a freshman who chose to come to Campbellsville University because I was so enthusiastic in giving her campus tour brought along a few of her new freshman friends. 

            That became our group; we only have 2 or more international students on average that attend. But they were Faithful, Available, Teachable (FAT-google the abbreviation and read about it.). The questions that they asked were so challenging, I can see the old me in them. 

            I might not have personally witness any conversions myself in Campbellsville University. But I have heard stories about them, I have worked on some of their hearts, and I have faith in God’s promise even though no huge miracle is happening. 

            I have not been perfect this whole time while God made my dream comes true, I have not been praying daily about it, I slack off , but He knows my heart. He made my dreams come true in my last semester in Campbellsville University. Do I need more evidence to convince myself that God loves me and cares for my desires? 

Do you? Ask Him.
Matthew 7:7 (KJV) “Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you”
 



Reminder: When you pursue God, He will also fulfill the desires of your heart. This is my story when I pursue God and focus on my own growth, God did not forget my desire for international bible study in Campbellsville University. Make your own story, daily. Our international bible study Facebook group, contact us, join us if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment