January 17, 2011. The day I left the hometown and country
that I’ve lived in for 20 years. 36 hours later; January 19, 2012, Eastern Time;
I am in an airport that I have never been before. This travel experience feels
very strange.
I’ve
traveled annually with my family, learnt enough from my mother and travel
guides about arranging flights, departure/arrival procedures, transiting from
one flight to another.
I’ve checked numerous times the ‘route’ that my luggage will take; getting flight tickets each time I arrive in a new airport for another transit; making sure my laptop, camera, and money is always with me; taking pictures of everything I could possibly take; trying to search for internet whenever I’m waiting for boarding-to update my family of my whereabouts; bringing suitcase/luggage into bathroom stall with me; all these precautions showed that I am a very nervous yet experienced traveler. After all, it is my first time traveling all by myself.
I was not that determined of transferring to the United States until I hear my mom’s expectation for her daughter to fulfill her dream of going to college and even to finish it up in America. So I began a lot of researches for colleges in America and Australia. My motive is to finish my Bachelor’s Degree within a year with as little cost as I could. Australia fell through due to the issue with transferring my credits and the high cost. I guess American Degree Program is more beneficial for transfers to American universities and colleges. In the end, Campbellsville University won the battle, as it was $1,000 cheaper than the other university which was the easiest for my credits to transfer.
The $1,000 saved cost $10,000 more in the end , when I took in total two years to graduate. I still graduated with two Bachelor’s degrees, not Psychology and Communication but Psychology and Sociology. Either way, I love people. ‘Nough said (this topic will be picked up somewhere else).
The unexpected marked the start of my journey…
No comments:
Post a Comment