Today I
learned something. I know it sounds really cliché to start this post. But I learned
an important lesson.
I see myself
as an egalitarian on the issues of gender. I am not saying or agreeing that females are superior or
like Beyonce said ‘Who runs the world? Girls’. Rather I support for an equal ground for both men and women to show their abilities.
Of course I
do acknowledge the unique characteristics that only male or female own cannot
be replaced or compared. However, I believe that both male and female can share
responsibilities and traditional gender roles can be switched or exchanged.
To conclude
my view, I believe in gifts over gender (male or female).
From my
struggle with being fit into my gender (girl=feminine) to my Gender Studies
class experience, I thought I’m done with battling on the issue of gender.
Little
commercial break for Gender Studies class by Dr. Susan Howell. It’s a great
class to explore your personal gender beliefs, the society’s gendered message,
and very well resourced class. Just remember to keep an open mind and be ready
for critical comments.
An article by her published in Christians for Biblical Equality (CBE): Breaking The Rules.
Here's one by her husband: Egalitarian Journey.
I have been
thinking about singing worship songs such as ‘Beloved’ and ‘By Your Side’ by
Tenth Avenue North. These songs contains message such as ‘You will drink of my
lips and you’ll taste new life’. I wanted to sing them but I worried.
I was
concern if people who listen to them will get the message of Jesus’ redemption
for their lives. After all, the singers are male and I am a female. I do not
want the listeners to hear a song but to hear the gospel.
It was a
huge battle for me as I really want to share the message of the songs yet
afraid that I will receive comments on how I shouldn’t sing the songs.
I’ve been
working on some song writings and practicing my guitar. Today I was practicing
some songs that I bookmarked on my iPhone. I cannot remember how the song ‘Come
To Me’ goes so I looked it up on YouTube.
Then I
realized and remembered something that I had learned a long time ago.
Genesis 5:1-2 (NLT) “This is the written account of the descendants of Adam. When God created human beings, he made them to be like himself. He created them male and female, and he blessed them and called them “human”.”
One of the
lessons we had in Gender Studies is both masculine and feminine features are
present in God. For example, God is discipline as well as compassionate. How can I forget
such an important lesson?
I was too
caught up with the society’s judgment on gender and their ‘appropriate roles’.
I was too caught up with the ‘should and shouldn’t’ and the ‘dos and don’ts’. I
have forgotten that I too can sing God’s message regardless that I am a female.
Exodus 3:14-15 (NIV) “God said to Moses, “I am who I am.[a] This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’” God also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, ‘The Lord,[b] the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.’
“This is my name forever,
the name you shall call me
from generation to generation.”
What are your thoughts on this?
No comments:
Post a Comment